Eating the Philly Foodshed

A collaborative exploration of the joys and challenges of eating locally.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

(Not just) Another Roadside Attraction

Can I tell you about one of my favorite neighborhood spots? It's certainly not worth a special trip but if you're in the area it can be a nice oasis on your journey. I get just a wee bit giddy as I approach it each day on my commute, eager to spot any new offerings. This time of year it's a sparse but welcome harbinger of summer's pleasures to come.

This morning in the wan light of an overcast dawn I make out a few healthy seedlings towering over their small pots. The sign says "Tomatoes & Herbs". The tomato plants are easily identified at 25 mph but I'll have to slow down or pull over tonight to identify the herbal offerings.

I've seen everything from seedlings such as these to orchid corsages on Mother's Day. In the summer it's heirloom tomatoes - ugly black krims or fat brandywines and all manner of fresh vegetables. In the fall you'll find squashes both decorative and delicious. Just a small roadside stand. A pricelist is taped to the table. A locked mailbox hangs from a post for you to drop your payment. Strictly honor system.

Last year I had every intention of dropping in a thank you note to the farmer but I never did. This year I think I'm going to write a brief note thanking them for their offerings. It was so nice to be able to stop and pick up an onion or some herbs or some veggies when we occaisionaly ran out from our weekly CSA share. My hope is that my note might also spark a dialog. Of course I'm interested in the mundane specifics of their farming practices and philosophies. However, as we become more entrenched in our neighborhood my hope is that we might actually get to know our neighbors. Imagine that?!

If you're in the area you might want to check it out. It's the self-serve produce stand on Pughtown Road. Just past Camphill Village as you head West toward my house. Right before the road turns toward the dog leg that crosses French Creek. Their season starts in early spring with a handwritten sign sticking out of a bale proclaiming "HAY 4 SAIL" and ends sometime as late as November with all manner of gourds.

Feeling the Chester County love. Ahhhh. There it is. Y

2 Comments:

At 5/12/2006 2:09 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Kathie - is this Stimigo Farms?

If so - I've bought their heirloom tomato seeds. I talked to the farmer this past year at the Farmer's Market. She told me galling stories about people stealing both their produce and their money! She told me how much of a headache maintaining the stand is, but that her husband convinced her to keep doing it, because people like me appreciate it. And I told her how much I appreciate her doing it. I feel the same way you do about driving past there! I get all excited - "What are they going to have now?" feelings!

At the farmer's market, they had an orchid stand. The owner was telling me that they will ship orchids anywhere.

I wish I still had her business card. Maybe it will turn up around here someday, or maybe they'll be at the FM again!

Thanks for posting that!

 
At 5/12/2006 3:12 PM, Blogger snoodess said...

Yes, I think it is Stimigo. I added a link to them under Specialty. I'll have to see if they are at the farmer's market this year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home